Thursday 2 January 2014

And all began

Last year, I took off on horseback for a few thousand kilometers. Before that, there had been a long preparation, punctuated by obstacles and doubts. I was just back from a summer in Kyrgyzstan, back with a simple idea of journey. In this fuzzy and lonely period, I used to lull myself to sleep by reading "Les cavaliers" (The riders) of Joseph Kessel.

First, I had the idea to cross the New Zealand islands. But, the more I was preparing a possible trip there, the more I saw myself as a consumer of the world. To fly for several days seemed more and more violent, absurd. Especially if the goal was to travel on horseback, where the clock was the slow walk of the horses. I did not yet know the country I would be leaving, so what could I have possibly brought to the New Zealanders I would have met ? My decision was made: this trip will not be the last, but the first and I want this tale to begin on the road of the French countryside. I want to build roots to this journey.
I made then several routes, only one goal, to reach the Pyrénées mountains on the southern French border. At the same time, I got myself trained in hoof trimming, horse packing, leather work and veterinary care,.. The tack needed to be found also.

And the horses. It was not easy, I didn't know where to look or find help. I am still amazed by how lucky I got. The red mule, Stringa, is smart like an old fox, always cheerful and eager to explore. The black mare, Tweety, is brave, impressive and protective. If the friendship with Stringa was immediate, Tweety, however, by her distrust and anger, brought to me many doubts and self-questioning on my skills.

True, it was a gamble, to take off with two young mares (5 and 6 years old by then), myself being without any travel experience. But I am glad I played, despite a difficult start. To me, who knew nothing, they taught me everything. A journey is a unique opportunity to build a simple relationship based on trust.
I bought the mares in February 2012. We left on May, 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment